Join Our Staff
JOB OPENING: TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Overall Description: Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte (ATC) in Charlotte, NC seeks an experienced full-time Technical Director. Working under the supervision of the Production Manager, the Technical Director is responsible for ensuring that the best possible product goes on stage through implementing all scenic technical requirements within the pre-established budget parameters. The Technical Director is also responsible for the management of the ATC scene shop. Opportunities exist for set/scenic design.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the scene shop, and oversee all aspects of set and large properties construction and fabrication for ATC shows and clients. This includes procuring materials, supplies, and load-in plans, as well as the scheduling of the timely completion of each project.
- Ability to interpret scenic design plans from AutoCAD, SketchUp, etc…
- Manage scenic and properties load in, installation, & strike.
- Attend technical rehearsals and production meetings as needed and tend to all resulting notes in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate physical technical production elements with other production staff.
- Maintain, or schedule personnel to maintain, scenic elements during each production as needed.
- Oversee maintenance of scene shop material inventories, tools, & labor.
- Manage and coordinate the hiring and scheduling of carpenters, scenic painters, load-in and strike crew with the Production Manager.
- Manage and coordinate students and volunteer assignments as needed.
- Maintain all scene shop vendor relations and file all necessary invoices and receipts with the Business Office for the scene shop in a timely manner.
- Assist with facility needs and relay necessary information to the landlord.
- Work with staff to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- TEAM PLAYER! WOOT!
Qualifications: Must be a strong carpenter with management, supervisory, and communication skills. Able to evaluate designer’s drawings, cost out productions, drafting skills (manual and computer), and labor/time estimates. Must be able to manage active scene shop including budgeting, bidding, and administrative duties. Valid driver’s license, able to drive 25’ truck. Knowledge of scenic painting, electronics, welding, hydraulics and automation/motor controls a plus.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. The range of benefits includes medical insurance, vacation pay, paid sick leave.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements addressing your specific skills related to this position to Production Manager Carrie Cranford at email@example.com. It is the policy of Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte to provide opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, disability, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression. ATC endorses the goals of equity, diversity, inclusion and the principles of equal opportunity in all of its practices.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year. Salary commensurate with experience.
There are no auditions happening at this time. Please sign up for our mailing list below to be notified of audition announcements.
Join Our Audition and Class Email List
Submit your information to be notified when new auditions and classes become available:
ATC Hiring Policy
To best demonstrate our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, we encourage all actors to audition for any role they feel that they can fully embody. While we recognize that there can be no interference with the artistic integrity or contractual rights of the author, we commit ourselves to the principles of equal opportunity in all of its practices.
Become a Volunteer
We at ATC are a small and mighty force, but we still need help! There continues to be much to do in prepping our new space for guests and welcoming all of you to the newest home for local, professional, exceptional theatre in Charlotte. Can you help?
Please sign up below to join our Volunteers List to get future updates and opportunities!