Submissions are closed at this time.
You are welcome to look at the following as an example of our submissions for our fourth annual nuVoices New Play Festival. Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte envisions nuVoices as a springboard to catapult new plays to the national stage through our existing relationship with the National New Play Network (NNPN). We also strive to develop nuVoices into a program to mentor the next generation of professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
Diana Grisanti’s THE PATRON SAINT OF LOSING SLEEP, the winner of our third annual nuVoices Festival, was selected as a world premier at ATC.
The goals of nuVoices are three-fold:
- To celebrate and cultivate new plays by emerging American playwrights.
- To incubate professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
- To educate the public on the process of taking new plays from page to stage.
- nuVoices was created by Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte to honor and encourage emerging playwrights in the American Theatre. Four playwrights will be awarded a $500 honorarium, with transportation and housing provided, and a week-long residency at the theatre. The residency will encompass a four-day festival that will feature two public, script-in-hand readings for each of the four plays selected. Following the end of the festival, the festival winner, who will be determined by a panel of audience members, arts professionals, and Actor’s Theatre staff, will be invited by the theatre to have a full production mounted in an upcoming season.
- – Scripts must be unpublished and have not received a fully staged, professional production at the time of the festival. Workshops and readings are acceptable.
- – Selected playwrights must be in attendance for the festival.
- – Previous submissions to the nuVoices Festival will NOT be considered.
Guidelines for Submission
Please note the following when preparing your submission:
- – All submissions MUST be received electronically.
- – One script submission per playwright
- – Full-length, original plays only (no musicals, translations, adaptations or children’s plays)
Script submissions must be made through our online submission form. Email submissions and submissions submitted by mail will not be accepted. Your documents should be submitted as PDFs and consist of the following:
- Your resume, which should include:
- – Your name, contact information, and mailing address
- You may also provide contact info for your agent or representation, if applicable.
- Your script with observance to the following:
- – All personal information that would identify you as the playwright should be removed from the script. This includes the title page and any page headers or footers that may include your name. If applicable, remove the contact information for your agent or representation as well.
- – Text in 12pt type and in a plain font, such as Times New Roman
- – Include a title page and a list of characters and settings
- – Include the title and page numbers in the header or footer on each page
- – Type the name of your play as you would like it to be read/shown for future reference
- – Submit early! Due to our small staff and pool of volunteer readers, we will guarantee that the first 250 submissions will be read. We will post to our website when we’ve reached the 250 submissions. Submissions received afterwards will be read at our discretion.
- – Submissions not adhering to all guidelines will not be considered unless fixed when requested.
- – We are currently not accepting international submissions
- – We DO NOT provide feedback on submissions.
If you have any questions after reviewing the submission guidelines, please email us at email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.
About Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte
The mission of Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is to present, in an intimate environment, bold and innovative new works by contemporary playwrights who share our respect for language and humanity. Our philosophy and goal continue to be the presentation of regional premieres of thought-provoking, challenging and entertaining contemporary plays. Actor’s Theatre is the only professional theatre in the region that dedicates its entire programming to new works that are daring, offbeat and, yes, sometimes controversial. Through the years we have remained steadfast to this original mission and philosophy and will strive to continue to be your entertainment source for these exciting new plays for years to come.
Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is supported in part by an Operating Support Grant from the Arts & Science Council of Charlotte/Mecklenburg, Inc., by a State Arts Resources Grant from the North Carolina Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources, and by an Operating Grant from the Shubert Foundation.
Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is a contributing member to the National New Play Network (NNPN). All submitted scripts will be considered for entry into nuVoices and NNPN’s National Showcase of New Plays. For more information on NNPN’s National Showcase of New Plays, please visit NNPN’s website.