Due to the spread of COVID-19, the nuVoices 6 festival, which was scheduled to take place in July 2020, has been cancelled until further notice.
Submissions are currently closed on New Play Exchange.
About the nuVoices Festival
nuVoices was created by Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte to honor and encourage emerging playwrights in the American Theatre. Four playwrights will be awarded a $500 honorarium, with transportation and housing provided, and a week-long residency at the theatre. The residency will encompass a four-day festival that will feature two public, script-in-hand readings for each of the four plays selected. Following the end of the festival, the festival winner, who will be determined by a panel of audience members, arts professionals, and Actor’s Theatre staff, will be invited by the theatre to have a full production mounted in an upcoming season.
The goals of nuVoices are three-fold:
- To celebrate and cultivate new plays by emerging American playwrights.
- To incubate professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
- To educate the public on the process of taking new plays from page to stage.
- AMERICAN MYTH: These can be personal stories, national history, or continental epics. All should have the DNA of great myths of civilizations near and far. These are worlds populated by gods, squandered by man, and rescued by hope. ATC prides itself on presenting bold works, but with this we want the impossible, the fantastic, and the profound. We are looking for the deeply American. By this we do not mean works should have a US focus exclusively, but work deeply connected to land on which many cultures have existed and do exist.
- PUPPETS AND PEOPLE: We believe puppets are a vital tool in the theatre, often under utilized by the dramatist. In this section, we are looking for your plays with puppets. This should not be a play that only has puppet characters. Nor should it be one that had only people in it until you read this description and thought “oh, I should just change one character into a puppet”. We are looking for work that was created with puppets and people in mind. It should be evident to the reader of your work why the puppet character is vital to the story, and it is vital to the story that the character be represented by a puppet. For the purposes of this development process, puppets may not be included for the staged reading. Our process will be focused on the story.
- ESL: In this opportunity we are looking for people who speak English as a second language (or those who had a language other than English dominate their home). The works can be on any subject matter, but the play should be able to communicate it’s content to an English only speaking audience. Our intention for this opportunity is to be open to the communities, subject matter and experiences that are unfamiliar to people who identify with as a part of the dominant English culture in the United States.
- Scripts must be unpublished and have not received a fully staged, professional production at the time of the festival. Workshops and readings are acceptable.
- Playwright must reside in the United States.
- Playwright must be in attendance for the week-long festival.
- Scripts must be appropriate for ages 16 and up.
Guidelines for Submission
Please note the following when preparing your submission:
- All submissions are being accepted through New Play Exchange, a project of the National New Play Network. Once a person has a profile on the exchange and meets any of the following criteria, they will receive an invitation to tag a play for ATC’s review.
- Email submissions and submissions by mail will not be accepted.
- Full-length, original plays only (no musicals, translations, adaptations or children’s plays.)
- One script submission per playwright.
- Previous submissions to the nuVoices Festival will NOT be considered.
- Submit early! Due to our small staff and pool of volunteer readers, we reserve the right to cut off submissions early.
- Submissions not adhering to all guidelines will not be considered unless fixed when requested.
- We are currently not accepting international submissions
- We DO NOT provide feedback on submissions.
If you have any questions after reviewing the submission guidelines, please email us at email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.
About Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte
The mission of Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is to present, in an intimate environment, bold and innovative new works by contemporary playwrights who share our respect for language and humanity. Our philosophy and goal continue to be the presentation of regional premieres of thought-provoking, challenging and entertaining contemporary plays. Actor’s Theatre is the only professional theatre in the region that dedicates its entire programming to new works that are daring, offbeat and, yes, sometimes controversial. Through the years we have remained steadfast to this original mission and philosophy and will strive to continue to be your entertainment source for these exciting new plays for years to come.
Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is supported in part by an Operating Support Grant from the Arts & Science Council of Charlotte/Mecklenburg, Inc., by a State Arts Resources Grant from the North Carolina Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources, and by an Operating Grant from the Shubert Foundation.
Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte is a contributing member to the National New Play Network (NNPN). All submitted scripts will be considered for entry into nuVoices and NNPN’s National Showcase of New Plays. For more information on NNPN’s National Showcase of New Plays, please visit NNPN’s website.